Have you heard people talking about “Cutting the cord” or “Pulling the plug” on their cable or satellite TV service? Tired of increases in your monthly cable TV bill? Ready to take control and cut the cord on cable TV? Keep reading to learn more about Antenna TV and Streaming to TV content and devices.
Free HDTV via Over-the-air TV Antennas like the Channel Master CM-2018 (pictured above) is widely available, and growing options for Streaming TV content can save you a substantial amount of money per year.
If you live near most larger cities, an Over-the-air (OTA) HDTV antenna can connect you to local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and more) for news and national programming. Cable alternatives for live sports can be challenging, but Antenna TV broadcasts can provide coverage of College Football, NFL Football, Featured MLB games, Golf and more like the Olympic Games. Much of this OTA Digital TV content is broadcast in High Definition (HD), and better yet it’s uncompressed – meaning it looks better than what your cable company has been feeding you!
Installing an HDTV antenna can pay for itself in less than 2 months if you are handy and do it yourself. The monthly savings can be comparable to what you’d save on electricity if you purchased and installed a PV Solar Panel system on your house (without investing thousands of dollars!).
We use a hybrid system that tunes local content from an Outdoor OTA TV antenna, and can stream online TV and movie content from various sources, saving our family $85/month*!
(We still pay for high-speed internet)
Things to consider before canceling your cable or satellite service:
- Discuss the idea with your family, this will initially be a lifestyle change.
- Make a list of programming you regularly watch, and determine how much you can get from an antenna and/or streaming source.
- Make sure you have an HDTV that has a built-in digital (ATSC) tuner or an HD-ready TV (or display) with an external HD receiver with digital tuner.
- Scan your location for Antenna TV reception, and determine how many local broadcasts you can expect to tune in.
- Be prepared to do some work.
*Antenna price is subject to change, your monthly savings will vary based on your current Cable or Satellite rate.
Next step: > Scan for TV Antenna Reception Map